We love to make the most of grilling season! These delicious salmon skewers are an easy, healthy and super flavorful addition to any summer menu. Served with our sweet and zesty mango salsa, they can work as a great appetizer. Add some couscous and you’ve got a light and fresh summer lunch.
We used plump mushrooms and tasty zucchinis for our skewers, but you can use any vegetables you have laying around, or you favorite ones from the farmers’ market.
Whichever you pick, the trick to making perfect skewers lies in getting the different pieces as close to the same size as possible. You’ll want your salmon and vegetables cut into even cubes or pieces, so they’ll cook evenly. To create harmonious presentation – and ensure everyone gets their fair share! – start and end your skewers with salmon.
- 3 skinless salmon filets (about 1 lb. each), cut into 1.5-inch cubes
- 8 oz. button mushrooms
- 2 zucchinis
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 5 tbsps. olive oil
- Kosher salt (for the salmon)
- 2 medium tomatoes, unseeded, cubed
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 1 medium mango, cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsps. champagne vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Start your grill and get the fire to medium. Make sure the coals are spread evenly, so you get even heat to all skewers. Brush the grill with oil.
- Cube zucchinis and mushrooms into similar size pieces. Get the veggies as close as possible to the salmon cubes in size, so everything will cook evenly.
- Starting with a piece of salmon, thread salmon, zucchini and mushrooms, until the skewers are filled (but not overflowing).
- Brush each skewer with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning occasionally, about 3-5 minutes on each side (fish should turn an opaque pink all around and inside). Spray some lemon juice.
- To get your salsa ready, mix the tomatoes, onions, mango, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in a bowl. Refrigerate until use.
- Serve two skewers per person, topped with the salsa, plus some salsa on the side.
- Make sure to soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning on the grill.