2. Bring the water and sea salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in the
polenta in a slow steady stream.
3. Lower the heat and continue to whisk until the polenta is thick and smooth, about 6
4. Add the Romano cheese and butter and continue to stir until melted and
5. Remove from heat, fold in chopped basil.
6. Pour the polenta into a well-greased shallow baking dish or pan and spread evenly
with a spatula. The polenta should be 3/4" - 1" thick.
7. Cover and chill a few hours. Cut the polenta into squares.
9. Preheat broiler. Brush eggplant rounds with olive oil on both sides; sprinkle with sea
salt and black pepper, place on baking sheet.
10. Broil until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
11. Drizzle tomato slices with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle eggplant and tomatoes with
12. Place polenta squares on a well-greased baking sheet. Top each square with an
13. Place a mozzarella cheese round on top of eggplant.
14. Top each with tomato slice.
15. Bake polenta stacks in a 375°F oven until heated through and cheese melted, about
16. Top each stack with 1 basil leaf.